Welcome to Physical Education at Fairbanks Road Elementary School. It is our goal to create a fun, safe and physically active environment to assist our students in making wise and healthy decisions about their body and enable them to gain a greater appreciation for living a healthy life style. Following the three guidelines below will help us achieve this goal!
- Students need to wear sneakers in order to participate in class. It is helpful to have students wear Velcro fastening sneakers if they are unable to tie their own shoes.
- Students should wear clothes which allow them to participate in physical activities: dresses, skirts and jewelry should be avoided.
- Students will be expected to actively participate in class unless they have a note from home, family doctor or the school nurse.
New York State Physical Education Standards
- Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Recognizes the value of physical activity for overall wellness, enjoyment, challenge and/or self-expression.
- Recognizes career opportunities and manages personal and community resources related to physical activity and fitness to achieve and maintain overall wellness.
Why is Physical Education Important?
Physical Education helps improve a child’s overall health by increasing:
Muscular strength and power
Improved bone development
Increased mental alertness
Active lifestyle habits
Constructive use of leisure time
Physical Education helps improve a child’s mental alertness, academic performance, readiness to learn and enthusiasm for learning.
- Grades K-4: sneakers and clothing that allow full and free movement (no dresses) are recommended.
- For safety reasons, sneaker that tie/velcro are required.
- Appropriate outdoor layers are recommended on colder days for when we may go outside for PE.